Master of Light Chick's Gourmet Veggie Dining

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Valencia Luncheria, Norwalk, CT

One of my favorite places here in Fairfield County. Chef Michael used to work at Habana in Norwalk and left to start his own place. The luncheria known for its "Venezuelian beach food" is a funky little hole in the wall. The regular menu is extensive and each day brings fabulous specials. The innovative creations he concocts for his specials are truly amazing and worthy of much higher prices than he charges. Today, I had a fresh gazpacho soup topped with avocado slices and my standard arepa - black beans and plaintains. For those who don't know, an arepa is a lovely little cornmeal pocket lightly sauteed and fried, which can be filled with numerous items. There is a list of suggestions on the blackboard or you can be courageous and pick your own - Michael says I invented the black beans and plaintains. Today I noticed a new one - white corn, fennel and a light cheese, which sounded yummy for my next visit. Two different homemade sauce toppings come to the table - the cilantro based one rocks! My friends that know about this place love it and those that don't already know, soon come to love it as well.

172 Main Street, Norwalk, CT 06851; (203)846-8009; http://www.valencialuncheria.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home